Here’s a quiz. Which president said the following:
- “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.”
- “Ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”
- “Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.”
- “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves, and, under a just God, cannot long retain it.”
- “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”
POSSIBLE ANSWERS: Nixon, Kennedy, Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, Reagan, Teddy Roosevelt, Johnson, Ford
The above is, more or less, very famous quotes from some of our most popular presidents. Those who are favorably mentioned in the history books. They are things that made such an impact or had such an import, that they have found a permanents place in the common lexicon of Americans.
By comparison, our current White House occupant has left us with such gems as:
- “Why are we having all these people from shithole countries coming here?”
- “I need loyalty, I expect loyalty. “
- “I’ll probably will do it, maybe definitively.”
- “Despite the constant negative press covfefe.”
Following the recent Iranian missile attack against two American bases in Iraq, Trump went to the teleprompter and in his monotone, dry, and confused tone, tried to convince us that “all is well” and that the Iranians had backed down and the crisis of his making had been a success.
Making matters more bizarre was Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina appearing on the Sean Hannity show proudly, but ridiculously, comparing the import and depth of Trump’s speech to that of Reagan’s “tear down that wall” speech. Look, I’m not a Reagan fan but I’ll give him his moments and Trump will never come close to matching Ronny’s stature. I’m sure they both have/had speech writers but a speech isn’t much without good delivery and Reagan was a B movie superstar who didn’t look like an orange creamsicle. Ronny successfully sold 20 Mule Team Borax for a company that is still in business. Trump has tried selling steaks, wine, financial advice, and casinos have all failed, fined millions in court for fraud, or ended up in bankruptcy. I would advise Trump is to hire a speech coach to help shed the monotone drone, get rid of the nasal sniffing problems, and work on that vocabulary you claim to have the bestus of.
And to Graham I just have to ask, how much were you paid or what were you promised for comparing Trump to Reagan?